Recently, concern about the environment has become a crucial public issue. Increasing governmental regulations, intensifying consumer environmentalism and growing pressure from stakeholders have made firms decide to go green (Leonidou et al., 2011; Menon and Menon, 1997). There has been a rise in eco-friendly (EF) product preferences among consumers and firms are desperate to trap … Continue reading Are Consumers More Likely to Buy Green Products?
This morning saw the beginning of the World Future Society 2014 annual conference: WorldFuture 2014: What If in Orlando, Florida! WorldFuture 2014 is a collective of some of the world's most inquisitive and dedicated scholars, asking about the future of a myriad of topics including humanity, government, education, religion and even happiness. Speakers will include … Continue reading Top Five: What If?
How have family businesses responded to the call for sustainable practices? Authors Magali A. Delmas and Olivier Gergaud recently tested their hypothesis that family businesses tend to emphasize a more socially responsible attitude for themselves and their kin by studying family owned and operated wineries in California in their article "Sustainable Certification for Future Generations: … Continue reading Sustainabilty in Family Businesses
The United States Environmental Protection Agency estimates that only 15% of post-consumer textile waste is recovered each year, leaving a whopping 85% in landfills. This means that used textiles occupy nearly 5% of landfills overall. What can be done to help this problem? Karin M. Ekström and Nicklas Salomonson discuss the possibilities from a macromarketing … Continue reading Are You Throwing Those Old Jeans in the Trash?
In July of 2010, the United nations identified clean water as a human right. However, less than one percent of the fresh water on earth is accessible for human use and global population is estimated to reach eight billion by 2025. But not all nations have and can maintain clean water systems due to the … Continue reading The Human Right to Clean Water VS Property Rights
Scientists predict that in the years to come both temperatures and sea levels could rise, diminishing valuable resources and leaving civilization in a place of discomfort, both physically and economically. But, despite these distresses, could we actually be happy? Authors Gioietta Kuo and Lane Jennings think so and discuss this possibility in their article, "Achieving … Continue reading Can We Be Happy in a Post-Apocalyptic World?
Veganism and vegetarianism are becoming more and more popular as a greater variety of plant-based foods become available. A little to no meat diet has been promoted as a healthier option, but can reduced manufacture of animal products also help combat climate change? Michael B. Beverland discusses this concept in his article "Sustainable Eating: Mainstreaming … Continue reading Are Plant-Based Diets Better For More Than Just Your Health?
More and more consumers are turning to environmentally friendly products and services, even though this can occasionally mean a higher cost. Restaurants are no exception to the idea of greener living, but are customers willing to allow for the extra expense involved? Young Namkung and SooCheong (Shawn) Jang researched this in their article "Are Consumers … Continue reading Is There an Economic Future for Eco-Friendly Eateries?
Global warming and climate change have become hot-button issues in the past few decades. Many disagree on the long-term effects and what needs to be done to correct it, if anything at all. In their article published in Simulation and Gaming, "WORLD CLIMATE: A Role-Play Simulation of Climate Negotiations," collaborators John Sterman, Travis Franck, Thomas … Continue reading Get a Better Understanding of Climate Change Issues Through Simulation
How do environmentally conscious businesses compare to their less eco-friendly counterparts when it comes to the bottom line? Dr. Javier Aguilera-Caracuel at Universidad Pablo de Olavide and Dr. Natalia Ortiz-de-Mandojana at University of Granada examine this question in their new article, "Green Innovation and Financial Performance: An Institutional Approach," recently published in Organization & Environment. Read the … Continue reading Environmentally Friendly Improvements and Financial Effects