Submissions of original family enterprise case studies are now being accepted for The University of Vermont (UVM) Family Enterprise Case Writing Competition. The purpose of the invitation is to generate unpublished and new family enterprise case studies to be used during the 2013 UVM Family Enterprise Case Competition (FECC) scheduled January 9 – 13, 2013. Follow this link to download details and application.
Anyone is welcome to submit a case except individuals involved in the training, coaching and other preparation of students participating in the competition.
Aimed at both undergraduate and master’s students, the cases and associated material must:
- concentrate on the area of family enterprise with suggested issues such as transgenerational entrepreneurship, succession planning, governance, non-family members as key employees, family crises, next-generation issues, sibling relations, professionalization of a family enterprise,
- be based on either field research or research from secondary sources describing a recent situation in an actual business. Some details may be altered slightly if necessary to obtain authorization from the organization to release the case for usage in this competition,
- be submitted in electronic format (.docx file) with a limit of 20 pages of narrative text, double spaced (maximum 5,000 words total) and no more than 30 pages when including financials, family trees, organization charts and other appendices (case text not permitted in the appendices), and
- include a brief (maximum 5 pages) teaching note and suggested evaluative rubric explaining the key issues, teaching objectives and evaluative elements.
Each selected case shall be awarded a prize of US $2,000
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
Submit the following:
- Case & Teaching Note
- Entry Form
- Statement of Originality
- Letter of Authorization
A case will not be eligible unless accompanied by the supporting documentation, which should also be submitted in electronic format.
The cases submitted will only be used for the UVM Family Enterprise Case Competition and cannot be submitted elsewhere until after the competition.
To maintain fairness of the competition, case writers will be notified of the status of their submission ONLY AFTER the completion of the competition on January 13, 2013.
JUDGES & SELECTION CRITERIA
The selection committee will be composed of family enterprise owners/ managers, scholars, advisors. Cases selected for the competition will evidence:
- Family enterprise issue clarity
- Information sufficient to inform recommendations
- Evaluative guidance through the teaching note
Selection committee decisions are final.
For additional information and forms click here or follow this link to download details and application.